Reflective summary

Now that our project is fully edited and back into the hands of the director,  I thought it’d of value to revisit and initial project aims and goals to see how effective this project has been for me personally.

“Objective: To provide location sound along with post production work on a 15-minute film for a client, ultimately providing a final audio mix down that’s consistent to that of the post apocalyptic genre of visual.”

The overall objective of this project was to provide a film crew with both on location and post production services for a short film that fit the relevant genre. Conducting a lot of research into the genre offered me with insight into some of the connotations that came with genre of post apocalyptic. Looking through various interviews with critically acclaimed audio engineers such as Mark Mangini and Nigel Christensen, both of which works on films within this genre such as Mad Max. What we ended up with was a product that fit the requirements set by the director and met our standards personally.

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 12.23.15 PM(message from the director).

Moving onto my initial personal goals that I set myself at the start of the project, I believe that i’ve succeeded in improving overall within this field.

“– To better familiarize myself with on location recording equipment such as the F8 and 633.”

Although I exclusively stuck with the 633, I believe that i’ve gained first hand experience with the device to the stage where I can happily navigate it and get any set up I’d like out of it when required. Making sure that I was entirely comfortable with using the device before getting on to set was crucially for working in conjunction with time constraints on the given day. Although having to go through each track and separately labelling them (as posed to naming them before recording on the day) was time consuming, I put this down in part to trail and error.

“- To improve my skillset when it comes to working with clients.”

During this project I would work hand in hand with all members of the team in some capacity. Whether this be bouncing idea’s back and forth the director or ensuring I knew where I could and couldn’t stand with the boom pole in conjunction to the shot, I personally believe I’ve proved a sufficient service to the clients whilst maintaining a consistent level of communication that in turn, has aided the overall finished product.

“- To place a lot of effort on pre-planning, making sure that every stage of production goes off without complaints and overall, to improve my organizational skills.”

This was a goal I was keen to stay on top of due to not wanting to become overwhelmed with the workload. I ensured that throughout the process everything was preplanned to an extent such as making sure all the equipment was ready and working on the go, making lists of time stamped edit notes and prepared multiple potential music cues for the director. The only time in which this came under scrutiny is when I didn’t check the clip microphones on day 4 of recording however I was able to use my incentive to make sure that filming wouldn’t of been disrupted and potentially stopped.

This project has been a beneficial to my skillset as a whole, working with clients on a project as big as this has resulted in me becoming more comfortable in the service I provide.

Link to final piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_JhGSPafSM&feature=youtu.be