Post production: Day 3

For this session we would be focusing on recording our audio dialogue replacement with our actors and applying relevant effects to our piece overall. For this session, I made sure we were well prepared for recording dialogue by taking much of Lucy’s advice into consideration.

Before the actors even arrived I assured thorough checks were taken when it came to the technically side of the recorded. This include preemptively setting up the sE X1 and ensuring that we had a signal going directly into the Pro Tools project, I would then do test recordings that informed me of a rough level to record at and where we would have to place the actor in accordance to the axis of the microphone. Due to the fact we had to record shouting I ensured we made use of a pop shield to avoid plosives. Finally, we would print off scripts for the actors including sync and non-sync labels. This was so that actors could see which scenes they’d have to get precisely correct due to the diegetic nature of their mouths on camera. Due to all this pre-planning, we only took up roughly an hour of the actors time which was obviously beneficial to them and us.

For the remainder of the session we would start placing various EQ and reverb on relevant recordings so they sat better within the mix. This process included rigorous watch throughs and note taking. One of the contributions I inputted into the overall mix was ensuring each locations features had a consistent sound, this included applying similar reverb using the D-verb plug in and EQ using the 7 band EQ plug in.

Once this session was over I decided to take a bounced export home with me to look through and make a few pages of notes on. This would speed up the process of the final day of post production significantly.

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 1.37.34 PM(Page 1 of the editing notes that I wrote up for day 4).